One of the most common misconceptions among toenail fungus patients is the belief that they cannot swim. They easily get stigmatized when they are in public pool and there is also the mentality that toenail fungus is contagious and they can spread the fungus among other users of the pool. But can one go swimming with toe nail fungus?
Yes, one can go swimming with toe nail fungus, there is no need to be embarrassed or stigmatized. Toenail fungus is a common condition among people around the world. It begins as a white or yellow spot beneath the tips of the toenail and it is caused by mold and yeasts that feed on the protein keratin present in nails. Sometimes this condition affects several nails but it does not affect all nails at the same time.
Is it unsafe to go swimming with toenail fungus?
It is absolutely safe for nail fungus patients to go for a swim in the pool only if the water has been properly treated with chlorine. Also, the chemicals used for treating the pool water will effectively kill any bacteria and prevent other pool users for contacting the same infections. Even there are reported cases where patients of toenail fungus have noticed significant improvements in their fungal infections while having regular swimming sessions.
Although someone affected with toe nail fungus can’t transfer it to someone via chlorinated water, however, it is advisable to take proper care when moving around poolside, shower areas and changing areas because such areas are moist and favorable to transfer toenail fungi to others.
Toenail fungus is unattractive and it is usual to keep your toes away from the eyes of people. Baring your toes in public can be uncomfortable and embarrassing due to the discoloration caused by the fungi. Nevertheless, it is a personal choice to hid your toes, now that you are sure that it is safe to swim with toe nail fungus don’t let the appearance of it deprive you of taken a dive in the pool.
Safety tips for Toenail Fungus patients when swimming
While recent research shows that it is perfectly safe to swim with toenail fungus, however, there are some few safety tips they have to observe.
- Wearing flip flops or pool shoes while public shower or locker room. This will prevent those with fungus nail for spreading the infection and will curtail the infection for getting worst.
- Wearing flip on shoe covers will prevent users from slipping and helps them to cover their toes if they are feeling embarrassed by them in the public.
- Ensure that your toenails are well-trimmed at all time. This will make them to be neat despite the presence of fungus in there.
- Starting some kind of toenails fungal treatment several days before visiting the pool will also help to curtail the spread.
How to Protect Yourself from Having Toenail Infections?
Most of the precautionary measures applied by those having fungal infections while in public swimming pool can also prevent those without the infection from having it. Therefore, it is important to know that a public swimming pool is the most common place to contact fungus toenail. In view of this, this it is advisable for users of public swimming pools to always wear flip flop, pool shoes and always have their fingers trimmed to prevent fungus infection from growing in the toe nails.
Remedies for Toenails Fungus
If you are suffering from toenail fungus, don’t be negligent and wait for it to go away on its own. There are over-the-counter topical treatments like creams, oils, and lacquers you can use temporarily to alleviate the infection. Most people suffering from toenails fungus prefer using the natural remedies because of their minimum side effects and none pain inflicting treatment process. Also, some studies are of the view that natural remedies are more effective for treating toenail fungus than the modern remedies that approach toenails fungus with topical medicine, oral anti-fungal medicine and sometimes surgical removal of the nails. These treatment processes have their own side effects. Some of the natural remedies for toenails fungus are;
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is regarded as one of the best remedies for toenails fungus. It can be applied topically, internally and sometimes both. When applying this remedy, part of apple cider vinegar is mixed together with Epsom salt and a considerable amount of hot water. Allow the hot water to be cool for a while so that it will not be damaging to the skin and at the same time it will allow the mixtures to be properly blended together for a better result. Soak the affected feet into the tepid water for about thirty minutes twice a day. Do this continuously until the default nail is removed and a new one that is as white as snow will come up. During the period of soaking your feet in the tepid water, you also have to prepare a beverage made from organic apple cedar vinegar, warm water and a teaspoon of honey. It is a good practice to apply this method before and after going to a public swimming pool as it will not only cure and improve the fungal infection but will also mitigate any further infections one can get from moist areas of public pools and showers.
- Olive leaf extract: Olive leaf extract can also be used for removing toenails fungus. It is effective when it is taken on a daily basis as supplements. It is a multifunctional and multidimensional remedy that goes beyond curing of fungus infections. It can also be used as an antibacterial, antiviral and help to lower the cholesterol level in the body. The fact that olive leaf extract is a very active detoxifier makes most people using it to experience a little bit of discomfort when taking the supplement for the first time. However, the body gets used to it as the right dose is taken continuously on daily basis. Most cases it is advisable for such people experiencing discomfort while using this supplement to lower their dosage until their body systems become fully revitalized and used to the supplement.
- Tea Tree Oil: It is a powerful remedy for all forms of onychomycosis. It can be used as an anti-fungicidal and antiseptic remedy. Before applying this remedy, the areas affected by the toenails fungus is usually cleaned with alcohol and then apply undiluted tea tree oil to the affected nails and allow it to soak inside the nails. After which a soft bristle tooth brush will be used to scrub the nails gently. It is important to mix the tea tree oil with other oil like olive and almond oil when applying it directly to the skin. Continue to apply this remedy daily until the new healthy nail grows. It is often advised that even after a new healthy nail has grown; the mixtures should be applied for additional two weeks or more to prevent the fungus for re-growing.
- Orange Oil: This is a natural anti-fungal that can be used as a remedy for toenail fungus. It is usually applied on a daily basis on the affected nails and in between them using a dropper, after which it is allowed to soak in the affected nails for a while usually not more than an hour. The challenge with Orange oil is that it may have some side effects on people with sensitive skins. In view of this, it is highly recommended that orange oil is tested on a spot of a healthy skin before applying it to affected areas.
- Cornmeal: Cornmeal is a powerful natural remedy for treating toenails fungus. When applied to affected nails, if host a fungus that is harmless to human but deadly to Candida – the most common fungal parasite that causes infection to people. The remedy is prepared by mixing a cup of cornmeal and water in a container that is big enough to entertain the affected foot. Allow the cornmeal to soak in the water for about an hour or more. After which you submerge the affected leg into the mixtures for a while to achieve a greater result. This is one of the best choices of treatment available to people who are affected by the fungus of the nail. This is because it is harmless and has no side effects on the skin.
- Baking Soda and Sodium Borate: These are two natural remedies for toenail fungus. They work together perfectly to provide an effective treatment for fungus infection. Ordinarily, fungus needs an acidic environment to flourish; baking soda will prevent fungus from spreading by making the environment of the fungus not conducive and uninhabitable for the fungus to flourish. Baking soda and Sodium borate are mixed together with water to form a paste. Then the affected foot will be submerged into the water after which the paste will be applied to affected areas. This action is repeated for twice a day and it must be continued for at least two weeks after the fungus appears to have gone. This is important to prevent re-growth of the fungus.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is an effective remedy for curing toenails fungus. It has a medium-chain fatty acid known as caprylic acid. This acid has the ability to penetrate the durable cell wall of Candida and other fungi that grow in the toe nails. Once penetrated, the cell of the fungi will destroy thereby leading to the destruction of the infection. It is used by applying a thin layer of coconut oil to the affected areas and allowed it to soak for about 15 minutes. The fact that coconut oil is healthy to the skin makes it possible for users to apply it as often as they wish. However, it is advisable that people allergic to coconut oil shouldn’t apply it to sensitive tissues. It is also recommended to apply coconut oil to the fungal nail before going to a swimming pool, this will act as a protective measure while you can enjoy your swimming session without hassle.
It is advisable that whenever you notice any discoloration in your toenails, do proper research and consultation to ascertain if it is a fungus. If it, then apply any of the natural remedies above. You can further read on detailed research over the common symptoms and how to get rid of toenail fungus or yellow toenails.
You can go to swimming with toenail fungus, even the chlorinated water of public swimming pools will help reduce the fungus. Keep treating fungal nail with suggested remedies. Apply some home remedies before going to swimming pool such as apple cider vinegar soaks or coconut oil rubs and your swimming sessions will not only be harmless for the toenail fungus rather they will improve the condition and help you to achieve better health.
Toe nail fungus is not only hideous. But can get increasingly worse and one can end up losing a toenail or the nail becoming permanently flawed. Allowing fungus stay for too long without proper treatment can trigger other health worries and if you do begin treatment, be definite and follow the validated time given for the treatment to avoid reoccurrence. A fungal infection should not mortify you. So long as you apply the correct take the steps to protect yourself, and others, you can take a dip with toenail fungus.